Mary, Mary?

L'area principale del Forum, dedicata alla storia e alla musica del famoso complesso di rock progressivo.

Mary, Mary?

Postby massimo61 » 08 Mar 2010, 10:04

nel bootleg Happy the man c'è una canzone intitolata Mary Mary, mai sentita da nessuna altra parte. La stessa canzone peraltro si trova in un lp di un altro gruppo chiamato Genesis: errore di inserimento nel bootleg o inspiegabile cover?
Last edited by massimo61 on 08 Mar 2010, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
Pazza Inter Amala!
massimo61
Lamb
Lamb

Mary, Mary?

Postby genesisforever » 08 Mar 2010, 10:06

errore, o meglio malafede dei bootlegari....
Ciò che non ci uccide ci rende più forti.
genesisforever
Lamb
Lamb

Mary, Mary?

Postby massimo61 » 08 Mar 2010, 11:07

eppure sembra un giovane Peter[J-,]
Pazza Inter Amala!
massimo61
Lamb
Lamb

Mary, Mary?

Postby watcher59 » 08 Mar 2010, 15:53

la questione e' ancora dibattuta, se vogliamo.
Mary Mary e' un brano dei Genesis (americani), quelli
dai quali Jonathan King ha preso il nome per darlo ai
nostri ma...la versione che e' nel bootleg Happy the man
e' ancora diversa...
Da qui il dubbio...[:p][8:-x][;)]
watcher59
Foxtrotter
Foxtrotter

Mary, Mary?

Postby massimo61 » 09 Mar 2010, 10:03

Ho trovato questo in rete:
da quanto capisco non sono i Genesis e non si chiama nemmeno Mary, Mary, quindi doppio falso!

What's this song 'Mary Mary'? :

There seems to be two tracks with this title, however neither of them have anything to with the band which we all know and love.

The first one: (courtesy Alan Hewitt) Mary Mary is actually a single from the US band that were using the name "Genesis" at the time of FGTR and it has NOTHING to do with the UK band whatsoever.

This track is from the US Group Genesis who (confusingly) released an album the year before 'FGTR' called 'In the Beginning'. The first 'Mary Mary' is from this album.

The second one: An acetate of a different song supposely called 'Mary Mary' recently appeared on eBay, claiming to be an unreleased song from the "real" Genesis. This track had previously appeared on a couple of bootlegs from "our" Genesis. A tape copy of this track was sent to Anthony Phillips for verification.

Jonathan Dann writes: This is not an unreleased Genesis track[...] What actually happened was that someone got hold of a tape of the "Mary, Mary" track and sent a copy on to me. Whilst waiting for the tape to arrive, I asked Ant about the song and he said that (i) he'd never heard of it and (ii) Genesis never wrote or recorded a song with that title (or anything similiar) whilst he was with the group.

When the tape arrived, I played it to Ant and he confirmed that whilst it may well be a recording by a group called Genesis, it wasn't a recording by the group called Genesis that he was a member of!

In addition, Polo also offered some more information:

The other track also called "Mary, Mary" (the one on the recent eBay acetate) appears on the "Happy The Man" bootleg in full cut and on "Studio" bootleg on the Capitol One label in edited form.

The track on the acetate honestly doesn't sound like Genesis overall, but the background vocal is, IMO eerily similar to PG (the part with the "Hey!" is practically identical to that in "Hey!" by 'our' Genesis. However, the only reason this acetate track is even thought to be by any group called Genesis is because (according to the seller of the acetate) someone way back thought it sounded like Gabriel, checked with GEMA to see if there was a track called "Mary, Mary" (and that was on the assumption that the acetate track was even titled that) by Genesis, found that there was (probably the "US" track by the same name) and assumed that (a) the acetate was the same track and (b) the Genesis was the same Genesis and concluded (erroneously) that the acetate was a track called "Mary, Mary" by 'our' Genesis.

For all we know, the acetate track is a track called "My Love" by some no-hit wonder group called the Gypsy Flower Pedals.
Pazza Inter Amala!
massimo61
Lamb
Lamb

Return to Genesis