Retroterra differenti

L'area principale del Forum, dedicata alla storia e alla musica del famoso complesso di rock progressivo.

Retroterra differenti

Postby genesisforever » 14 Nov 2010, 07:32

Avete notato i diversi atteggiamenti dei membri dei Genesis nei confronti di una eventuale, ormai impossibile reunion?
Phil nelle interviste più recenti (inclusa quella di Mario su Jam) è chiaro nell'escluderla.
Steve è sempre stato apertamente favorevole.
Tony e Mike invece non si sbilanciano mai, con la ormai classica e ambigua frase 'never say never'.
Non parliamo poi delle mille dichiarazioni contradittorie e tentennanti di Peter...

Ecco, io credo che, in questa occasione come in altre (mi viene in mente anche la serata alla HOF), emergano chiaramente i diversi retroterra culturali/educativi dei magnifici cinque.
La rigida formazione della borghesissima Charterhouse (e la stessa altolocata provenienza famigliare) evidentemente ancora oggi impediscono a Banks, Gabriel e Rutherford, ormai sessantenni, di esprimere direttamente le proprie emozioni.
Discorso completamente diverso per Steve e Phil, di cultura 'proletaria', molto più aperti, sinceri e alla mano. Tanto che Phil dichiara senza problemi di essere entrato nei Genesis perchè 'aveva bisogno di lavorare'.

Riflessione personale: è pazzesco come i danni di una educazione repressiva possano trascinarsi per una vita...
Ciò che non ci uccide ci rende più forti.
genesisforever
Lamb
Lamb

Retroterra differenti

Postby Phoberomys » 14 Nov 2010, 07:47

quote:
Originally posted by genesisforever

Non parliamo poi delle mille dichiarazioni contradittorie e tentennanti di Peter...
Infatti, non parliamone perché non ne ha mai fatte - sull'argomento dice sempre esattamente le stesse cose da anni. [:-I]

Gruppo giovanile - mi piacciono ancora alcune cose - non vorrei tornare a rivivere il periodo.

Dichiarazioni che ogni volta suscitano vespai, elucubrazioni, insulti - magari, chi lo sa, ha a che fare via via col diverso retroterra degli ascoltatori? [:-I]
"Che cosa accomuna i Genesis ai Black Sabbath? Il fatto che per un certo periodo entrambi i gruppi, come cantante, hanno avuto Dio" - Langres Livarot.
Phoberomys
Lamb
Lamb

Retroterra differenti

Postby genesisforever » 14 Nov 2010, 08:02

Leggiamo insieme questa cronologia allora. Tutte palle?

March 2010: Peter Gabriel says "no": Due to tour rehearsals, Peter will not be available for the Hall of Fame induction. Peter explains that the performance of one or two songs would mean a lot of time for rehearsals. Meanwhile, Banks, Collins, Rutherford and Steve Hackett attendes the induction but did not perform. American band Phish payed tribute and performed Watcher Of The Skies (youtube) and No Reply At All (youtube).

December 2009: Rumours were spread by Banks and Rutherford that a mini-reunion is possible - in connection with the induction into the Hall of Fame. The problem: Gabriel will be in the middle of tour rehearsals when the ceremony will take place. Read the RollingStone.com interview here.

December 2009: "Never say never" - a glimpse of hope, expressed by Tony Banks in an interview related to the fact that Phil's condition has improved. Meanwhile, Phil did his first live performance since his injury.

September 2009: British MIRROR reports that Phil Collins will never be able to play drums again - Phil himself says: "after 50 years of playing, I have to stop (...) but don't worry, I can still sing"
The chances for the "big reunion" are now lower than ever ....

At the end of the month Tony Banks is interviews by genesis-news.com and confirms that there are no plans at the moment and he does not see anything happen in the forseeable future. Click here to read the full interview.

March 2009: During his Latin-American Tour, Gabriel states in an Interview, that he would not take part in a Genesis tour, mainly due to his family situation. Nevertheless, he can still imagine to collaborate with his former bandmates for a soundtrack or Lamb-film project ...

January 2009: Peter tell British music magazine MOJO he could imagine touring again with his old mates from Genesis. He did not go into any more detail, though...

December 2008: Peter Gabriel is going to tour in South America in spring 2009. He categorically ruled out any further tours in 2009. A Genesis reunion that includes Peter Gabriel will therefore take place in 2010 at the earliest.

October 2008: Phil Collins affirms that he would participate in a Lamb project. Waiting for Peter continues.

August 2008: Rumours from the Gabriel camp: Peter spreads information that he wants to tour in 2009 - Still Warming Up in South America. A Genesis tour with Peter has become less likely in 2009.

May 2008: Manager Tony Smith admits in an online chat that the release of the third boxset was intentionally delayed to keep a "big reunion" an option. This, however, will not happen in 2008.

Dec 05, 2006: A multi-page report and interview about Peter Gabriel appears in the January 2007 edition of Q magazine. It confirms that Peter would be available for a reunion "not before 2008".

Nov 08, 2006: At yesterday's press conference Genesis announced an open air tour through Europe, on which they will be playing 20 dates, as well as the release of the SACDS. They also explained that the big reunion is not off at all but could not be achieved at that date. In the meantime Steve Hackett has issued a statement on his homepage wishing his former band mates all the luck and success with the tour. Go here to read the transcript of the press conference.

Nov 03, 2006: The Genesis press conference will be broadcast live on the official Genesis homepage at noon London time. Details about the webcast will be posted on the official homepage a couple of minutes before the press conference begins.

Nov 02, 2006: Tickets for the German concerts will go on sale on Nov 10, 2006 at 9am Berlin time, according to Genesis' German promoter Peter Rieger. No information about the cities and venues has become available yet.

Nov 01, 2006: Nick Davis reports that the 5.1 mixed of the Genesis back catalogue will be released in three instalments complete with bonus material. He would not say anything else though, and referred everyone to Nov 07 [the press conference]. It is therefore very likely that the reunion tour is (also) used to promote the 5.1 releases.

Oct 25, 2006: Word has reached us from Alan Hewitt (English fanclub) who phoned the Genesis management, that, apparently, no fanclub ticket presales are planned for the upcoming Genesis tour. Such a presale had taken place on Collins' last tour. This puts a damper on the hope that things will be a bit more fan-friendly this time.

Oct 22, 2006: More news and more rumours. The official Genesis website announces that no further information will be released until November 07. Reports by the BBC that the band had long-term plans involving new material are therefore unsubstantiated speculation.

Oct 19, 2006: It has not been announced officially, but it still seems solid: Several online magazines and website (e.g. Classic Rock) report that Genesis will give a press conference on November 11, 2006. They will be releasing more information about the reunion and the upcoming Turn It On Again - The Tour. As was to be expected, Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett are not involved. It is absolutely unclear whether there will be a new album. More information as we get it.

Oct 16, 2006, updated Oct 17: Two news items about the reunion. A Belgian website speculates about a Genesis show at the Parc des Princes in Paris on June 30, 2007. This date has not been confirmed yet. In the forum at the official web site one could read that Tony, Phil and Mike seem to be rehearsing at the Spin Recording studios in Astoria, Queens County (NY, USA). The source for this is a post by the guitarist of Trans-Siberian Orchestra (TSO) on their web site.

Oct 07, 2006: Peter Gabriel of all people has now confirmed the ominous jam session Tony Banks, Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford had in October. In his most recent Moon Club video he explained that the three were rehearsing but that the was not involved at this time. He did not rule out later involvement. Phil Collins had mentioned the October jam session in an interview a couple of months before. It has since become the topic of many debates.

Oct 04, 2006: The rumour mill is working overtime these days. In the last few days a couple of companies have been offering tickets for possible Genesis shows. Tony Smith, Genesis' manager, appeals the fans: "We have heard that, due to the unconfirmed report in the Sunday Mirror, a couple of companies advertise Genesis ticket. DO NOT buy any tickets from these companies, since no shows have been booked and these advertisements are attempted frauds."

Oct 02, 2006: Several newspapers and news websites report that Genesis will have another go at it in 2007, adding that Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford and Phil Collins will tour as a trio. They mentions the band's spokesmen and friends of Phil Collins as sources. Phil has said that the three of them will do a jam session this months. There is no official announcement.

Sep 11, 2006: The Dutch concert ticket site Topevent-Tickets has announced a Genesis tour with Phil Collins in 2007. Reservations and pre-orders are possible on their site. Tony, Mike and Phil plan to get together for a jam session, though it is not yet clear whether it will take place. The Dutch ticket offer is therefore as reliable as the RockTours ads that filled German music magazines for months.

May 22, 2006: Phil's tour of Tarzan interviews produces ever new scenarios. He has told the Chicago Broadway World that a reunion of the classic lineup was desirable but hard to achieve. He did not rule out that he might do something with Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford in case it does not work out with Peter. Interestingly he added that the three of them have booked a studio for jam sessions in October 2006. He stressed that there were no further plans.

May 13, 2006: Phil Collins states in an interview for 6Music in New York City (USA) that a reunion was still possible. He said that since Peter Gabriel had other obligations until late 2007 a reunion project was realistic only in 2008. Collins told the Toronto Star that the five Genesis veterans were "working toward that possibility".

April 20, 2006: Alan Hewitt of the UK fanclub The Waiting Room Fanclub recently interviewed Steve. When asked about the SACDs and a possible reunion, Steve replied: Unfortunately I am not in the position, umh... well, I comment on these things. I think that a marvellous job has been done with most of the things, and there are only a few things that are still uncertain, but I have absolutely no idea when all this is to be published. The best moment would be, of course, if there was a band reunion. The band does not know any more than the fans. We all have given our input and most of us hope that it will happen sometime. I would love to say "Okay, I will be there on Thursday", the question is on everybody's mind, mine too. If it does not happen, I am not to blame for it.

April 18, 2006: After the damper there is (perhaps) a big bang: Phil Collins has said in the KGO News Talk (6am programme) that when the five of them met in November they talked about a re-staging of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, about doing a limited number of shows and recording and filming them. According to Collins the band are enthusiastic about the idea and trying to find time for it.

March 29, 2006: Peter Gabriel puts a damper on all hopes for a reunion. He was awarded the Innovation Prize in Aachen (Aix-la-Chapelle). In an open discussion he was also asked about a possible reunion. He replied that there was nothing to that rumour, but he conceded that they had talked about it. Gabriel explained that he wanted to try out new things rather than revive the past.

March 13, 2006: Reunion rumours are fed again by a news item on musicnews.virgin.net. According to it there will be a press conference on Tuesday on which Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel will announce their comeback with an album and a tour. Virgin (now part of EMI) is Genesis' record company. The announcement is met the same night by an announcement by Annie Callingham (Genesis management) in the official forum to the effect that rumours about a press conference are not true.

"There are no decisions by Genesis to perform anywhere whatsoever at this time. This situation will not alter in the next twelve months." (Genesis Management 01/12/05)

Phil Collins: "I am ready" [2005]

Peter Gabriel: "I wouldn't put money on it...yet" [2005]

Steve Hackett: "There's something afoot" [2005]

March 11, 2006: The newspaper Daily Star reports that Genesis are going to record a new album and tour with Collins and Gabriel. All this is supposed to be announced on a press conference on March 15. The situation became more confused by another report that this reunion was not about Genesis but about the band The Cars. Since this rumour was not taken up by reputable newspapers it is most likely a canard.

Feb 19, 2006: Recent rumours have it that Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins met in Switzerland. They are also supposed to have been in touch with light and stage technicians to prepare a possible tour. These rumours have not been confirmed from anywhere.

Dec 01, 2005: Both the managements of Genesis and of Steve Hackett have told the Italian fanclub DUSK that there will be no reunion "in the next twelve months" and that there are no plans for Genesis to appear. This seems to indicate that the members of Genesis may discuss the possibility of a reunion in twelve months and that their various obligations make a reunion in 2006 impossible. The reunion talk has supposedly taken place on November 19, not Nov 20.

Nov 19, 2005: One day before the potential reunion talk, Peter Gabriel’s homepage attempts to calm and lower expectations. However, nothing is ruled out. Official statements after the talk may turn out to be most interesting.

Nov 10, 2005: Peter Gabriel repeatedly confirms that talks about a possible reunion will take place soon. He also stressed that such a project would take up a lot of time. Chances for a reunion are apparently better than ever before. On October 22, 2005, Peter had only confirmed the meeting in the t.v. show Extra.

Sep 30, 2005: “Something’s up”, Steve Hackett says. For the first time a former member of Genesis announces that something in the way of a reunion may be approaching. He explained that the management had invited them all for a meeting to consider a reunion. His statements, given alongside his current acoustic tour raises hopes that Genesis may show some life again.

Feb 24, 2005: Phil Collins performs with the Canadian cover band The Musical Box in Geneva. He plays the drums for the encore song, The Musical Box. Later he explains that he used to be quite a different musician back then, but that he still enjoyed it. All in all, his guest performance not only raised hopes but also chances for a reunion.

Oct 2004: Tony Banks, Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford meet in Cologne, Germany, to promote the European release of the Platinum Collection. Rumour has it that a tour and even an album were discussed. Phil later confirms that they had talked about a reunion, but decided not to go for it.
genesisforever
Lamb
Lamb

Retroterra differenti

Postby Phoberomys » 14 Nov 2010, 08:30

quote:
Leggiamo insieme questa cronologia allora. Tutte palle?
Quante volte ricorre il nome di Peter in questa lista?
Io ne leggo poche.

Dove & Quando le sue dichiarazioni ti sembrano contraddittorie?

Come giudichi un "mai dire mai" detto da Tony Banks rispetto a un "non escludo la possibilità di fare un tour con i Genesis" detto da Peter?

A me sembra che tutti quanti siano adamantini rispetto alle loro intenzioni: Tony Phil e Mike (e il loro capoccia Tony Smith) volevano fortemente una reunion (e l'hanno avuta), Peter ci stava (ci starebbe?) ma alle sue condizioni, Steve ci sarebbe stato comunque ma non ce l'hanno voluto.

La mini-reunino alla Hall of Fame è un altro discorso (non avrebbero potuto suonare comunque visti i problemi di Phil), ma in piccolo replica la stessa dinamica: tappeto rosso a Peter che si nega, trattamento infame per Steve che era lì.
Tanto per parlare di "educazione".
"Che cosa accomuna i Genesis ai Black Sabbath? Il fatto che per un certo periodo entrambi i gruppi, come cantante, hanno avuto Dio" - Langres Livarot.
Phoberomys
Lamb
Lamb

Retroterra differenti

Postby Betelgeuse » 14 Nov 2010, 09:00

Io la vedo così, in relazione all'analisi ( sempre interessante ) di genesisforever:

Peter non è interessato a un'ipotetica reunion, però mi sembra attento all'andazzo generale, alle tendenze e quant'altro. Sente sicuramente le sollecitazioni dei media. Potrebbe alla fine provare anche quest'operazione-nostalgia, ma solo se lui è convinto che possa rappresentare " un'evoluzione per la sua carriera ". Io credo che sia molto attaccato ai Genesis, ma non lo vuole lasciare trasparire.

Phil sta attraversando un periodo particolare: sta probabilmente pagando ora l'impressionante iper-attività di 45 anni di carriera a massacranti livelli ( includo anche gli esordi come attore e con i Flaming Youth ). Sa che non può più suonare la batteria a creti livelli, e forse si è stufato di cantare dal vivo le canzoni dei Genesis. Potrebbe essere per lui capitolo chiuso il gruppo. A meno che non sia " pungolato " dal management o dal successo come solista per farlo tornare sui suoi passi.

Steve vorrebbe ritornare col gruppo. Credo però che gli interesserebbe un progetto a lunga scadenza, che non so se sarebbe gradito agli altri. A livello tecnico e strumentale è il più fresco, non c'è dubbio. Ma a livello decisionale? Ci potrebbero essere problemi di gerarchie, da gestire, nel caso, con molta, molta cautela. Ma anche vedute, forse, differenti, di filosofia dello show-business.

Mike ha molta più voce in capitoo di quello che si pensi. Difficilmente, anche negli anni 70, si procedeva senza l'assenso anche di Mike. Tecnicamente è OK. Varie esperienze in vari ambiti musicali lo hanno " rafforzato ", anche come chitarrista. Ma non mi sembra molto entusiasta. Il Mike sorridente e positivo, ad esempio, del 1978, avrebbe spaccato il mondo, e convinto tutti in quattro e quattr'otto a fare la reunion, la verità è questa.

Tony vuole garanzie, anzitutto. Ci sono dei brani che probabilmente non farebbe più dal vivo, forse perchè si è stufato, forse perchè sa che " rischierebbe ", questo non lo sapremo mai. Sarebbe probabilmente il più fiero oppositore alla riproposizione dei grandi capolavori degli anni 70. Ma sa in cuor suo due cose. Primo, che è l'unico veramente " indispensabile ", sì proprio indispensabile, alla riproposizione della sigla Genesis. Secondo, sa anche lui che ha ancora un potere decisionale massimo, e che senza il suo assenso, probabilmente, nessuna reunion è possibile. Tony, in ottica-reunion, è semplicemente, in fase di stand-by, in attesa degli eventi.
Betelgeuse
Lamb
Lamb

Retroterra differenti

Postby emmevu68 » 14 Nov 2010, 11:22

un sincero plauso per la cura nella cronologia...

un lavoro giornalistico

e mi riferisco ad un giornalista bravo..perchè coi tempi che corrono...
emmevu68
Foxtrotter
Foxtrotter

Retroterra differenti

Postby genesisforever » 14 Nov 2010, 11:38

Mi spiace però che le mie riflessioni sul background culturale/scolastico si siano, al solito, ricondotte allo scontro peter / phil o steve / tony, ecc... Il mio discorso era ben altro...
genesisforever
Lamb
Lamb

Retroterra differenti

Postby cynthia » 14 Nov 2010, 12:41

Probabilmente nel caso di banks l'educazione repressiva si è andata a sommare ad un carattere già di per sè schivo e timido.
cynthia
Trespasser
Trespasser

Retroterra differenti

Postby L. Vertighel » 14 Nov 2010, 12:54

Spiace constatare come, per l'ennesima volta, l'unico componente davvero interessato al progetto sia anche quello trattato e considerato peggio da tutti gli altri. Spiace davvero...

PS: ma Ant l'hanno mai calcolato?[:D]
L. Vertighel
Trespasser
Trespasser

Retroterra differenti

Postby Phoberomys » 14 Nov 2010, 13:10

quote:

Mi spiace però che le mie riflessioni sul background culturale/scolastico si siano, al solito, ricondotte allo scontro peter / phil o steve / tony, ecc... Il mio discorso era ben altro...
Sì ma derivavano da tuoi giudizi personali su ciascun componente dei Genesis, epressamente nominato.

Quelle su Peter Gabriel non mi sono sembrate corrette - non in senso "morale" quanto storico.

Tantopiù se collegate ad un presunto durevole imprinting scolastico, dal quale il cantante ha carcato di distaccarsi sia cronologicamente (in 42 anni!) che con l'aiuto di sussidi (psicoterapia, EST*).

*EST:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhard_Seminars_Training
Phoberomys
Lamb
Lamb

Retroterra differenti

Postby bislungo » 14 Nov 2010, 14:29

che con l'aiuto di sussidi (psicoterapia, EST*).

*EST:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhard_Seminars_Training
[/quote]

EST-icazzi !
bislungo
Foxtrotter
Foxtrotter

Retroterra differenti

Postby Musical Box_93 » 14 Nov 2010, 14:47

quote:
Originally posted by L. Vertighel

Non credo abbia una sua utilità,potrebbe rifare solo Trespass,con il resto della discografia dal 72' al 92' non centra un tubo
Musical Box_93
Nursery Crymer
Nursery Crymer

Retroterra differenti

Postby Magog » 14 Nov 2010, 15:21

ancora con sta riunione ....[:-I]

la colpa è di PETER!!!!! e ne sono felice che si RIFIUTI CA-TE-GO-RI-CA-MEN-TE di suonare che quegli EX musicisti!!!! [:-D][:-D]
"mangiato in fretta ? mangiato troppo è ?"
YOU TUBE G+
Magog
Lamb
Lamb

Retroterra differenti

Postby L. Vertighel » 14 Nov 2010, 18:46

quote:
Originally posted by Musical Box_93

quote:
Originally posted by L. Vertighel

Non credo abbia una sua utilità,potrebbe rifare solo Trespass,con il resto della discografia dal 72' al 92' non centra un tubo

Ma infatti la mia era una domanda provocatoria: ovvio che è assolutamente utopico vedere i 6 Genesis suonare insieme. Certo che sarebbe un vero sogno.
L. Vertighel
Trespasser
Trespasser

Retroterra differenti

Postby aorlansky60 » 15 Nov 2010, 10:46

Secondo me la ferrea educazione "old-british style" degnamente rappresentata e distribuita ai nostri dalla Charter House quand'erano rampolli di belle speranze, in questo caso c'entra poco.

Quello che emerge nei vari comportamenti in merito ad una "ipotetica reunion" è molto attinente con le reali priorità maturate dai singoli 5 attualmente.

Non è un caso che Steve sia il più motivato, in quanto è quello maggiormente attivo dal punto di vista musicale, sia come composizione che come live-acts.

È chiaro il perchè Phil sia il più restio ufficialmente: il volersi dedicare "a figli e famiglia" credo costituisca per lui un rifugio ai problemi fisici che stà purtroppo incontrando, e che come batterista gli precludono al momento ogni sorta di possibile sviluppo.

Tony e Mike sono quelli che vedo meno motivati dal punto di vista musicale, avendo maturato altre priorità nella loro vita personale; è per questo che si trincerano sotto un alquanto diplomatico "never say never" non escludendo, chissà, futuri sviluppi... anche se più passa il tempo... [:-I]

Resta Peter, maggiormente in attività artistica rispetto agli ultimi due, solo che i suoi tempi decisionali e di realizzo sono ormai diventati "proverbiali"... [:-j]

Piuttosto, la "ferrea" educazione di un College quale la Charter House ebbe modo di manifestarsi in loro molto presto, già agli inizi del collettivo, peraltro riconosciuta dallo stesso Peter quando benedisse come "un raggio di sole" l'arrivo di Phil Collins ad anteporsi ad una "banda di musoni" che si tenevano "tutto dentro" incapaci quasi ad esternare i rispettivi punti di vista; sotto questo profilo, i più ostici, quelli da prendere con "le molle" pare fossero proprio Peter e Tony, non a caso anche le personalità "più forti" di quel collettivo...
...AMA TUTTI, CREDI A POCHI, NON FAR MALE A NESSUNO...
aorlansky60
Lamb
Lamb

Retroterra differenti

Postby jean_1960 » 15 Nov 2010, 14:14

Dubito che il tempo passato in Charterhouse abbia inciso,
penso piu' allo stile comunicativo di ogni singola persona.
Phil estroverso [8D], grande comunicatore, che dice quel che pensa senza problemi. Peter sempre un po' "misterioso" [:0], Banks e Mike sul timido andante[I8)]. Steve altra persona senza troppi peli, schietta e diretta[;)].
Io li vedo cosi'.
Il passato in college secondo me se lo ricordano solo perche' ha permesso al gruppo di nascere[^]. Come mentalita' ne eran ben lontani, vedi il genere di canzoni che han proposto. Per non parlare di Peter che si vestiva come mai nessuno prima...[:0][:0][:0] altro che atteggiamento da "nobile"![:D][:-D][:D][;)]
Last edited by jean_1960 on 15 Nov 2010, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
Giampiero
jean_1960
Foxtrotter
Foxtrotter

Return to Genesis