un matrimonio coi fiocchi

Scrivete qui i messaggi dedicati al simpatico "singing drummer", sempre coinvolto in una miriade di collaborazioni e progetti paralleli.

Postby theknife » 16 Jun 2009, 07:26

Stamane non ho un granchè da fare - mi prendo un pò di riposo dopo un lavoraccio di un mese e 100 spartitri stampati in una settimana...che palle! - e, qui e là, vi posto alcuni articoletti non male che forse non avete letto...

On Phil and Jill's wedding

Transcribed from Genesis Magazine
No:33 Autumn 1984
Written by Geoff Parkyn

The big news in August was Phil's marriage to Jill Tavelman on Saturday 4th. The reception was in the garden of Phil's Surrey home, with a big marquee to accommodate all the famous and not-so-famous guests - and with a stage down one end should Phil wish to get behind a drum kit!

The theme was '50's style, and a jazz band, the Bob Kerr Whoopee band, provided general entertainment, and Phil's manager Tony Smith was best man.

By the time Phil took the stage, he'd lined up an interesting band that kicked straight off into a set of familiar rock'n'roll numbers. The band ran: Eric Clapton on guitar, Robert Plant on vocals, Daryl Stuermer guitar, Gary Brooker on keyboards, Mo Foster on bass, and of course Phil on drums.

After their set there followed quite a surprise in the form of another 'instant' band line-up: Steve Hackett guitars, Chester Thompson on drums, Mike Rutherford on bass, Phil on vocals and also Robbie Blunt and Bob Mayo from Robert Plant's band. Not surprisingly the material was very close to Genesis' music, and an excellent time was had by all! In keeping with the informal, inpromptu arrangements of the playing through the day, none of these interesting combinations were recorded - it was very much a one-off. Steve Bishop also joined in for one song at one point in the proceedings, and amongst musicians who were there but didn't join in the musical activities were Peter Gabriel, Tony Banks, and Adam Ant. Taylor Hackford ('Against All Odds'-film) and Ahmet and Neshui Ertegan from Atlantic Records in New York were also there amongst a crowd that included Pamela Stephenson and Billy Connolly, people from the village and the landlord from Phil's local pub!

One immaculately dressed guy caused much confusion because everyone thought he looked familiar and very famous but couldn't place him - he actually turned out to be the person who installed Phil's jacuzzi!

Phil 'n Jill had time for only a short break after as Phil wanted to be here while his children Simon and Joely were over from Vancouver for the summer holidays. At the end of August they went back and Phil 'n Jill went off on honeymoon to a suitably exotic location. When they got back Phil continued work on his new album - writing songs, planning recording and what various embellishments to add...
Tell me my life is about to begin, tell me that I am a hero, promise me all of your violent dreams light up your body with anger
theknife
Lamb
Lamb

Postby marbian » 16 Jun 2009, 17:21

Very interesting indeed...tra tutte le interessanti notizie, quella che mi ha colpito di più è la presenza di Steve Hackett, al matrimonio come nella band improvvisata...trattandosi dell'anno di grazia 1984 non me lo sarei mai aspettato...pensavo che in quegli anni la frattura tra Steve e gli altri non fosse stata ancora sanata...
The past is a foreign country...They do things differently there...
marbian
Lamb
Lamb

Postby Lamia Lover » 24 Jun 2009, 03:37

Non deve stupire più di tanto la presenza di Steve all'evento. Pare che, tra i secondi serviti al pranzo di nozze, ci fosse del roast-beef in salsa tartara... e lui ne va matto!

True or false? [;)]
    ... and I've nearly found a place to call... the squonk! [:)] [:)]
Lamia Lover
Nursery Crymer
Nursery Crymer

Return to Phil Collins - Brand X - Big Band